There are multiple variations of coffee around the world, and while people are generally comfortable with their typical brew, some may prefer to branch out. Choosing to taste something foreign instead of the usual options can be daunting, but a good place to start is with Costa Rican coffee.
While it may not be the first choice that comes to mind when discussing exotic foreign selections, Costa Rican coffee is making major waves in the coffee industry around the world. Despite not being a mainstream choice, like the usual Colombia, Kenya, or Ethiopia, we believe that beans from Costa Rica have something special to offer - unique taste being a standout reason.
Here are a few different reasons you must try this type of coffee. Unique taste aside, it offers a few more benefits that can brighten up your morning, even on the rainiest of days.
1. They Are Naturally Grown
If you want to taste something natural and free from any form of preservatives, then Costa Rican coffee is the right choice for you. Due to the geographic features and weather of Costa Rica, the bean can grow and mature until such time that it is ready for picking.
Remember that just because they are fresh and authentic when they’re picked doesn’t mean that they’re ready for brewing. They must still be dried and then roasted appropriately before they can even hit your coffee makers.
2. They Are 100% Arabica Coffee
When it comes to Costa Rican beans, you can be sure that they are all 100% Arabica. For those who aren’t familiar with the categories of coffee, Arabica is a variant that has a refined and rich taste, making it the most dominant type in all of the coffee beans around the world.
Yes, they are challenging to grow and cultivate, but all of the waiting is worth it as the result is nothing short of amazing.
3. They Vary According to the Region
Costa Rica itself is made up of 8 different regions where coffee is grown, each with its unique climates and humidity. Because of that, the coffee grown in each area may have its own flavor variations. If you ever have the chance to visit the country, get at least a cup and try to figure out what makes them all different from one another.
- The West Valley (Valle Occidental) - yields a wide range of tastes, including honey, vanilla, orange, peach, and many more.
- Tres Rios - Because of its balanced acidity, coffee from this region has been dubbed "Costa Rica's Bordeaux."
- Turrialba - The coffee from this region is light-bodied, with a gentle acidity and a delicate scent.
- Brunca - The coffee from the Brunca region is known for its nuanced citrus taste, which ranges from moderate to exceptionally sweet.
- Orosi - Produces a coffee that is silky smooth and well-balanced.
- Tarrazú - Coffee from this region is known for its exquisite flavor, with flavors like chocolate, vanilla, and orange.
- Central Valley - Coffees are sweet and fragrant, with a robust flavor.
- Guanacaste - Produces a smooth coffee with a little acid, salty and bitter flavors.
Try our Costa Rica Farmers Project coffee. This coffee comes from five farms in Costa Rica's Central Valley and is smooth, velvety, and performs well in a variety of roasts. As a creamy, caramel-sweet shot of espresso with overtones of citrus and chocolate, it absolutely shines.
4. They Are Hand-Picked Only When Fully Mature
There is no estimation done here. The Costa Rican farmers are known for their hard work and efficiency when it comes to coffee harvesting, so much so that they can determine when the exact time to harvest all their beans is.
5. In Costa Rica, Bad Coffee is Illegal
Costa Rica is the only country in the world where producing any form of coffee other than 100% Arabica is prohibited.
In 1989, Costa Rican producers were encouraged to produce only the best coffee beans by passing a rule prohibiting the production of substandard beans. And they unquestionably do!
These are just some of the benefits of indulging in Costa Rican coffee. Aside from their organic nature, they are also 100% Arabica, come in various flavors, and are handpicked during their maturity—but don’t just take it from us. Have a cup of your own Costa Rican brew and experience taking a sip of the most authentic and natural-tasting coffee on the market today.
If you are looking for a trusted source of ethically sourced coffee beans, look no further than Kunjani. We are a women-owned coffee shop and roaster, offering only the finest eco-friendly and sustainable brews. Order from us today!